Friday, May 25, 2012

Go! Go! Go!

Last weekend, my sister Teddy and I went to South Carolina to help my mom move back to Tennessee.  It was pretty uneventful, aside from two things.

1. We went to Tony's Famous Pizza in Georgetown, SC.  They have the best philly cheesesteak outside of PA.  All their food is good, but the philly is my favorite.  I used to work there when I was about 16 or 17.  It will always remain a special place to me, because its where I met my first boyfriend.  My parents were very strict, and didn't allow me to date, so Davey was my sneaky boyfriend...well, he wasn't sneaky, he was very nice...I guess I was sneaky...but it was a good memory.  He was the first boy that ever kissed me.  It was very awkward...as I assume most first kisses are.  But he was very sweet, and I am glad he was my first kiss.  Davey might not kiss you if you go eat at Tony's, but the delicious food will actually make sweet love to your mouth, so it is totally worth it.

2.  My mom actually drove away from a gas pump with the nozzle still in her tank.  Ripped the nozzle, hose and all, right off of the pump.  I saw the whole thing happen, and tried to yell at her to stop, but I was in the moving truck with the windows rolled up, and she didn't hear me.  I swear it happened in slow motion right up until the point where the hose actually pulled off the pump.  I guess there is a break-away feature, so she didn't completely destroy the thing, but they did have to hit the emergency shut off at a very busy gas station in northern South Carolina and call the fire department.  I really, really wanted to take pictures, but I also value life, so I refrained.  After I realized we weren't going to die, it was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

HILARIOUS!!!

This weekend, I am going to Ohio for my sister Jocelyn's son's high school graduation.  I am leaving tonight after work.  I bought some art supplies off of Amazon to take with me, as I won't be driving and I can practice in the car.

Prismacolor Premier colored pencils
These pencils are pretty awesome.  I only have experience with cheap-o colored pencils and these are very different in comparison!  I only got the 12 because I didn't know how different they would be, but even after messing with them for a couple minutes, I knew I should have gotten a bigger set.  

I actually went over this (poorly) with oil pastels...because of the white pencil issue...

I don't know if it is supposed to or not (I don't know why it would on purpose, but I am giving it the benefit of the doubt), but the white colored pencil in this set has a line of purple going through the entire thing.  You can see the really light purple markings all through the upper background and that is from the white pencil.  I think that is my one complaint...with these thus far.  I am going to see if I can find a store that sells individual prismacolors, so that I can see if all the white pencils have this going on...I will update you as soon as I know.

I LOVE THESE!!!
This is the other travel worthy thing I got from Amazon.  They are oil pastels, which I have never worked with before, but have figured out that I love.  I have read that cheap pastels aren't that easy to work with/they don't blend well, but for my purposes, these worked very well!  I am sure that if you could buy expensive pastels, they would be better, but for very little cash, these work great!

First time using oil pastels...pretty good results in my opinion...
I didn't take a lot of time in blending this, nor do I have experience, but for a first time, I think I did ok.
I accidentally grabbed the yellow one instead of the peach, so she looks a little jaundiced, but I like it anyway.

She looks kind of like Joan Rivers...

I did this on wet paper with water color pencils.  I was experimenting.  I think she looks like Joan Rivers.  

I am taking my oil pastels and prismacolors with me, so I should have some new things to share next week.  Oh, and I got a book called "Mixed Media Girls" (I think that's it) by Suzi Blu.  I haven't gotten to practice any with the instructions in the book, but I did read over it, and it is very good in my opinion.  She has a good way of writing that is pretty understandable.  I am taking it too, so hopefully I will improve my faces dramatically with her help!

What have you been doodling?

Have a great weekend!

~Sully



No comments:

Post a Comment