Monday, April 30, 2012

How I Spent Last Night

For some reason, I have noticed I am kinda loving the bunting trend...  I don't know why, they just seem so cheerful!  I saw this nifty little tutorial  HERE, and decided to give it a go.

And here we are:

Bright bunting necklace
I am liking it!  I did give mine some very sloppy stitches to keep it together, instead of just fabric glue as the tutorial suggested.  For my purposes, I don't mind that they are kind of wonky stitches on this...it seems to go with the funky fabrics...

On a body...
Next time...oh yes, there will be a next time...I think I will take a little more time (and use sharper scissors) to cut the fabric.  I am not even kindergarten level at scissor using...as you can see by my wonky edges...I bet I could use pinking shears to hide, and that would make the necklace be even sweeter!

I did wear this today, and I noticed a couple things that kind of annoyed me but I think I can fix (possibly two birds, one stone even).

First, the buntings kind of smash together.  I think that if I just add a little bead or something in between it will be much better.  I imagine you could also glue the pieces in place on the necklace, but I am a weirdo and wanted to be able to remove the pieces.

Second, I noticed that my fabric was fraying a little.  I think a little fray-check glue stuff will be in line...or if I used the pinking shears mentioned above, that might be just enough to stop it.

The other thing...probably also fixable by gluing (my brain is not working tonight...I keep looking at gluing and thinking "That is not spelled right...should be glueing.  or glue-ing...anything but gluing...) the fabric to the chain (or if I wasn't such a cheapskate and stopped refusing to just buy another chain...) is that the buntings flip upwards occasionally.  I actually think this could also be fixed by adding a bead as a spacer between the fabric pieces.  I will have to do a little experimenting.  If that doesn't fix it, I think that I could sew a little charm on the bottom of each bunting (is that what the individual flaggy things are called? Maybe pennant is a better word...) and that would work too.  And be extra cute...I may have to try that too...

More experimentation soon...but off to bed for now.

~Sully


3 comments:

  1. Thankyou im glad you liked the tutorial yours turned out great xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute necklace! I like the beads tip :D Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I haven't gotten to try the bead thing to see if it works, but as soon as I do, I will post what I find out. ~Sully

      Delete